This chimney was leaking for a while at our arrival. It never had a saddle built on the back side to divert the water away.When we removed the shingles and saw how extensive the wood decking was damaged we had to remove the entire frame work of the chimney to replace the decking. We then rebuilt a new chimney frame with a saddle on the back side. We put new Hardiplank siding on it .We recommended that a new cap be installed at some in the near future. Homeowner had to paint it as it was just a primer coating on the siding , but no more leaks after several very heavy downpours. Owners were very excited to not have any more leaks.